2014年9月30日火曜日

How to search 4 databases?

I learned how we can use databases effectively and in what way we can cite easily. There are 4 databases she explained: Gale Virtual Reference Library, Lexis Nexis, ProQuest, and JSTOR.

1.    Gale Virtual Reference Library gathers reliable e-book like dictionaries, so that it is useful when we want to know the definition. She also told us the importance of confirming it first when we write an essay because the word of academic meaning is often different from the word we imagine.
2.    Lexis Nexis includes many newspapers and magazines. Although it is not friendly with Zotero, you would find good articles by using it.
3.    ProQuest has various fields’ academic reports. There are summaries, information and full text.
4.    JSTOR has also various fields’ academic reports, although it is different from ProQuest. While ProQuest has 4000 titles’ reports, JSTOR has 3000 ones which are more academic.

I get used to using Lexis Nexis and knew ProQuest, but I didn’t know the others. It seems still difficult for me to make use of these data bases, but I wish I could do that until I will write a report that we have to write to graduate from ICU.

Also, I am so happy that I could know the useful hints, for example, searching by using and, or, phrase search, and *. I will try to use it and hope I can find good resourses!

5 件のコメント:

  1. Hey Yuka! The explanation for the four database we learned made me clear to ackowledge what to use in which situation. Thank you. I found it very useful as well that these four databases are smart enough to distinguish what we want to wringe out precisly. Let's try out these useful databases together some other day to get used to it!

    返信削除
  2. Hi Yuka. You summerized what we learned yesterday well. I could review the lecture by reading your blog. Thank you. As you say, these database will help us with works and especially I'd like to make use of writing support desk for a graduation thesis. We should use the function of ICU as a stunt!!

    返信削除
  3. Hi! Your summary is great!
    It was quite difficult for me too...:( Let's try hard together to use them fluently so that we can write good research writing!!

    返信削除
  4. database looks perfect! How do you know so much about it? Did you... like google it or something? Lol But I know you participated in the lecture seriously, so job!

    返信削除
  5. Oh... I guess my phone is messed up! It deleted some of the words I had in the comment! Sorry Yuka!

    返信削除