2014年9月8日月曜日

What I Hope to Get in R&P Class and How I Feel Comfortable by Using Technology

Hi, I am Yuka! I will answer 2 questions given from Dan.

1.How do you think the tools or strategies that you will learn in this class will be helpful for your academic research? 

I have never heard about Zotero before taking this class, so I hope I will be able to use it effectively and can collect resources. Moreover, I believe I can know how to cite appropriately. Also, by using evernote, I hope we can share ideas and discuss to some extent. These abilities are important because we need to use them when we write reports or essays with citation.

2.How comfortable are you using technology for learning? What devices and apps do you use now that help you in your life as student? 

I feel so comfortable with using my i-phone and Mac computer. I-phone is useful in terms of searching the difficult words quickly. Also, I often use it when I have nothing to do, such as when I get on the trains or buses. When it comes to apps, I use Kindle for reading books, iTunes for improving a listening skill, Ted lives for watching lectures, and BBC News for reading and listening news. While I use it for short time, I use my computer for longer time, for example, reading articles, writing essays, reports, and emails, or searching more complex things. This is because whereas the computer is heavier than phones, we can open and see several sites at the same time. In last term, my computer played a important role since I wrote many reports and essays.  I am sure that they would perform well this term, too. 

I appreciate it if you would give me some comments.


Yuka Hamanaka

8 件のコメント:

  1. Hey Yuka! I tried to use Kindle before but most of the books cost money and my screen was too little, so I bought the actual books instead. Though, it must be easier to hold just one mobile phone than to carry around actual paperbacked books. In addition, I think Ted Live is great to listen what other people thinks. One of my senpai did a Ted Live about gender at Waseda University. Hope you can check that out! Also, I hope we do great in this term too! Let's do this.

    返信削除
  2. Hello Yuka :)
    I wasn't very interested in Kindle, but after I read your blog entry, I started thinking that it can be also useful like other devices.
    I also use TED website and BBC for improving English skills and gaining new ideas.

    返信削除
  3. I am really interested in Kindle now so it sounds super nice to just have it with lots of articles and carry less actual books. And the part that said you use each apps to study on train is stimulating!

    返信削除
  4. I once used Evernote before but did not exactly know how to make it useful. But as Dan let us know some about the app, I knew that we can share materials with others.I might use Evernote for learning from now.And also reading your blog, I consider it as a tool of studying English to use BBC news or some like news app. Thanks!!

    返信削除
  5. I can say you are making full use of technology for study!!! Can you show me the apps you're using to study sometime? I'm seriously interested in them, even though you're using iPhone and I'm using Android.haha And one more thing to say, do you know how many people in ICU using MAC book and iPhone?? Feel like I'm in minority every time I use my phone and laptop in school...

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Nowadays it's getting to the point where it doesn't matter what platform your on. The apps and tools I'll be promoting itn the course will be cross platform.
      By the way, I have no idea who you are because your name is in Kanji and I have no record of your name in Kanji on file. I highly suggest that you change your name using Google settings into romanized characters at least for the duration of the course so that Incan give you marks for your work. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

      削除
  6. Until now I think the single biggest disadvantage to using Kindle on smartphones was the smallness of the screen. Now that Apple has finally decided to up their screens I think a lot more people will be reading and using apps like Kindle on them. Being a former librarian I would say the single greatest thing about having books on eReaders is the keyword search function - using real books it used to drive me crazy trying to find the spot in a book where I remember highlighting or making notes on something. By the time I'd find it I would forget my train of thought as to why I wanted to look for it. eReaders take that pain away - to think that Kindle even let's keyword search your notes taken within the eBook!!

    返信削除